More than 60 appropriate health care specialists have now been recruited as a PPE Champions across the Trust, with a further 20 expected to be trained up next week.
Under the guidance of a lead nurse, their role is to train staff on donning and doffing, provide support and constructive challenge, and educate clinical teams on PPE during the COVID-19 outbreak.
They are also responsible for carrying out PPE audits on the wards three or four times a week and listening to staff feedback.
Bronwyn Ramsay, senior nurse-support to infection control, explained: “The Infection Control team was asked to develop an audit for the practice of ‘donning and doffing’ following observations that best practice standards were not consistently being adhered to across hospitals.
“In addition, due to the pace of change it is recognised that staff require on-going support and guidance to ensure they maintain the highest levels of staff safety whilst caring for suspected or confirmed COVID-19 patients in all areas of the Trust.
“In response to this we created the PPE Champions role a few weeks ago, and we have been amazed at the dedication of the individuals involved and the impact they have been able to make so far.”
The role of a PPE Champion includes:
- Instructing staff in donning and doffing practice
- Reassuring staff about PPE supplies
- Ensuring social distancing is taking place in public areas (such as canteens)
- Monitoring communal areas across the Trust, to ensure that staff are not wearing excessive PPE and/or scrubs inappropriately
- Helping staff with hand hygiene practice
- Ordering PPE equipment
- Carrying out a Trust-wide audits across Red, Amber and Green wards, in order to create robust reports
- Using the results of the audit, working with PPE Bronze to deliver a rolling action plan to identify areas for training and how we can maintain best practice in clinical areas
Due to the organic nature of the audit, some of the audit tools may change from week to week, so please ensure you download your audit tool from here:
Please find a list of the data items reported to PPE Bronze. The data provided is for the week commencing 17.08.2020 – 07.09.2020:
|07.09.2020 - 28.09.2021||11-11-2020|